Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Concealing and Color Correcting: tips and tricks!

Concealers and color correctors can be confusing and overwhelming. I will tell you all the tips and tricks that my little brain holds!


First off, don't be discouraged! Everyone has to learn and start somewhere. I'm here to help jumpstart the want and need for you to do this. Whether you are just tired of seeing red marks, need to cover dark circles, or you want to learn how to brighten up your face.

I will start you off with some basic information about color correcting.

Let's start with the basic color wheel. --->
Red covers green.
Yellow covers purple.
Orange covers blue.
These are all vise versa. Pick the color you are wishing to hide, and go directly across from it, and that will be your camouflage color.
If you have redness from either a little pimple or even a bigger area to cover you would want to use a green colored concealer. Most every brand of makeup will carry these. Using your fingers you want to blend these very lightly onto the skin. The warmth from your body temp will help these blend easily and smooth.
If you have super dark circles under your eyes you want to use an orange or salmon colored concealer. Same concept, use your fingers to dab this on under your eyes. Be sure to only place the color on the dark areas! (And don't forget the inner corner on your eye, next to your nose!)
If you want to add a little brightness to any dull areas of your face, mainly forehead, chin, or nose, use a purple colored concealer. Again, same thing, use your fingers to apply a light layer.

After you have color corrected anything you may want to hide, then apply your foundation.
Check out my last blog dedicated to foundation tips and tricks!

Your foundation should cover most of the colored concealers, and don't worry if it doesn't. We can use a flesh toned concealer to finish the job!

When choosing concealers to just hide blemishes you should choose something that is your skin tone. I suggest to put a little tiny bit on the back of your hand and either use your fingers or a small concealer brush to apply.
Dab a little under the eyes in a small upside down triangle shape. Also, if you have any of your colored concealers showing, dot a little on those to blend away. After you have concealed use some loose setting powder (or pressed powder if you prefer) to set those areas. Since concealer is so creamy it tends to crease more on most people. Especially under the eyes!

Now, this is the most basic form of concealing and color correcting. Very soon, I will have a post up about highlighting and contouring with different concealers. These methods don't help much with hiding imperfections, but will get you into full glam mode! Stay tuned! ;)

Below I have listed a few products that I felt worth mentioning...


  • This Makeup Forever Camouflage Cream Palette is well worth the price tag in my opinion. It costs $40, but I feel it is a staple in my makeup collection.
  • Smashbox makes a high definition HD concealer that is basically magic in a bottle. It will put you back $23 bucks, but will literally last you a year.

If you are wondering, where the more affordable products are, don't worry, I have plenty.

  • Maybelline Fit Me! Concealer is one of my favorites at the moment. It has a medium coverage, but is so smooth, blends away perfectly, and is very budget friendly. The Maybelline website sells it for $6 and some change, but I'm pretty sure the drugstore is cheaper. (I think I paid $4.50 for my last tube.)
  • Another Maybelline product that I love is the Instant Age Rewind Eraser. It's coverage is light but buildable. It's so thin that I don't mind adding a second layer where needed! Again, the price on Maybelline's website is $9.99 but drugstores will save you some pennies. (Esp. if you are a couponer. Shout out to anyone who is! I could never do it!)
  • Wet n' Wild has heavy duty concealer that I'm almost positive would cover a tattoo. It's called the Come Correct Celebrity Concealer. I have heard that this stuff is comparable to the It Cosmetics Bye Bye Undereye Concealer. The price tags are way different, Wet n' Wild is about $4.50, It Cosmetics is $24. Choose wisely.
  • Lastly, for an affordable color correcting palette, NYX makes one that has 6 colors, and is about $12. Plus side to NYx is: you now have an excuse to go to Target!
Here is a picture step by step. Start with a clean, moisturized face. Get your favorite color corrector concealer palette. Use the orange under the eyes, green on any redness, blemishes and around the nostrils, and purple to brighten up (I used it on cheek bones, chin and forehead.) Use a brush to blend everything in lightly. Dot your favorite foundation on your face then blend in. **extra tip: don't use a lot of foundation under the eyes, because we are going to use concealer and you don't want to have any extra layers of products that will just cake up. I used two concealers and added them under the eyes, between the brows, and chin. Blend that in with damp beauty sponge. Set you face with powder, then get glam! Add the rest of your makeup and you have a flawless face!

Final thoughts: If you are new to makeup and need help figuring out where to start, this should be a great place. If you are looking to just add some information to your head, and keep on learning then this will be the place. And lastly, if you are feeling insecure about something, I hope that I can help. I know that makeup is just a "mask" and that it washes away at the end of the day. But, if only for 8 hours of the day, if I can feel better about myself, then I will do it. And, I hope that if you are WANTING to do this for yourself, but you are scared, I hope that I can help you. I am here for anyone that needs to talk. Please contact me if you need a helping hand, for any reason.

Please leave any comments down below if there is something you would like to see me talk about. If there is any beauty trick you need help with, or something new you want to try, I want to hear about it!

Goodnight my lovies, thank you SO much for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment