Monday, August 1, 2016

Foundation: tips & tricks!

Since foundation really sets the tone for all makeup looks I thought it was only fitting to start here. 


Choosing the right color is not only the most important, it also can be the most difficult. I suggest going with a friend when buying foundation. Also, if you can go to a store the offers sampling you are sure to find the perfect match!

To make sure to get the best out of your foundation, be sure to start with a clean, moisturized face. If you like to use primers or pore fillers do so about 2 minutes prior to foundation. Give it time to set in, and get tacky. I will do a blog dedicated to to primers later on, if you would like.

Step one: decide your coverage.
     Cream foundations are typically the most full coverage, they are also the thickest. You won't see your own skin peek through. This is good for photo shoots as you lose a lot of makeup on camera. If you have oily skin, I don't think cream foundation will be your friend.
     Liquid foundation is what I prefer. You can get them in light coverage, but most I'd say are medium coverage that are buildable. Meaning: if you put one layer on your skin, let it dry for a few minutes, then you can add a second layer to problem areas. There are literally hundreds of different types of liquid foundations, and so many formulas for oily and dry skin.
     Powder foundations are going to be your lightest coverage. (Although I have seen a few that promise full coverage. hm...?) They will come in loose powders or pressed powders. If you have dry skin, you might want to stay away from these.


Step two: pick your brand.
     This is the hardest for me. I am on a constant see-saw on what I want to put on my face vs. what I can actually afford to put on my face. If you are brand new to foundation my advice to you: go to your local Ulta, they have low end to high end foundations. And always have samples out! You can touch and feel and getting a better idea of what you want. In my opinion the drugstore has really stepped up their foundation game. My current favorite: Maybelline Fit Me! Matte + Poreless. Also, if you are a researcher like me, go to YouTube and watch as many reviews as your little heart desires. I do this. Every. Single. Day. The best reviews in my opinion are the drugstore v. high end dupes. If you love a brand, but not the price tag I recommend you watching some dupe videos!

Step three: color match.
     First determine where you are on the fair to deep tone range. Ex. Fair, light, medium, deep. Then you want to figure out your undertone. Do you have neutral undertones? Pink? Yellow? Or olive? As a rule of thumb, if you are fair to light you will probably be pink or neutral. Medium skin tones are usually yellow or neutral. If you sunburn very easily most likely you have pink undertones. When swatching colors you should always match them to your neck, so there is never a line where your face ends and neck starts on your jaw. This is where shopping with a friend comes in! Especially if you can't swatch the colors (because sadly, if you are buying from the drugstore they never have samples out.) My go-to advice if you are unsure is to go for a shade that maybe is a tad lighter. You can always bronze your face up after to add color and dimension back. 


Step four: application.
     There are so many ways to apply your foundation: fingers, brushes, and beauty sponges, oh my! My favorite is the beauty sponge. First, wet your sponge and then squeeze out all the extra water til it is just damp. I like to pour out a little foundation on the back of my hand and then apply to my face. The sponge should soak up some of the extra makeup so give you a flawless finish. If it is soaking up too much then it's time to find a new sponge. And beauty sponges is a whole blog in itself! You are going to use your sponge by pouncing it on the skin. Never swipe or wipe it across, you will not get the coverage your foundation is supposed to have. You will just cause streaks and uneven application. Brush application would be my next favorite. And there are so many options for this. You can go the traditional route and use a flat brush, or use a buffing brush, which will cover more surface area, and I feel blend everything out smoother. Even if I'm using a brush, I like to blend with a sponge when I'm done to make sure there are no streaks. Fingers are good for very sheer coverage or BB creams.If you opt for a full coverage foundation you will not get an even application using your fingers. Definitely use a brush or sponge for fuller coverage.

Step five: to set or not to set?
     I always set my foundation with a powder. I have an oily T-zone and would be a slippery mess without it. I also find that other powder, ie. bronzer, blush, and highlighters, go on smoother when it's on top of powder. My opinion: if you are wearing full coverage foundation opt for a light wearing, translucent powder. This will keep you from getting cake face. If you are wearing a sheer coverage foundation, I say to add a little staying power to it, use a powder with a little color. If you have dry skin, you could probably get away with a translucent powder in only problem areas (t-zone, chin, forehead, what have you.) Oily skin should definitely be set all over to help with shine control throughout the day. There are matte finish foundations out there, but I still suggest setting it in any problem areas you have.

Now you should have a beautiful base to start your makeup routine! Stay tuned for the next tips & tricks to learn about all areas of the face! Next up will be about concealers and color correcting. As always, if you have any questions or need help, please feel free to comment on here or send me an e-mail!

Goodnight my loves, thank you SO much for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment