Wednesday, October 5, 2016

DIY Hair Extensions



Have you ever been walking through the beauty supply store and come across one long, hula skirt looking piece of hair? Have you been wondering and trying to figure out what to do with it? Or how it is used? I'm going to tell you exactly how to take that strand of hair and turn it into clip-in extensions.

Here's what you're going to need:

1. A weft of hair - this is just one long piece of hair extension2. A pair of scissors
3. A Hair sewing needle
4. Hair sewing thread
5. A 12 pack of wig clips

I decided that I was going to make 2 pieces with 3 clips, 2 pieces with 2 clips, and 2 pieces with 1 clip. The pieces with 3 clips are going to go in the back of your head. So measure out long they are going to be. They are going to sit even with the middle of your ear and the top of your ear. Smaller is better than bigger because you don't want it to go directly hairline to hairline because then they MIGHT show.

For the lowest piece, I did 3 layers to make the section a little thicker. This layer will be hidden by the rest of your hair so don't worry if it looks a little bulky. The rest of the sections I only doubled up. If you have super fine/thin hair I suggest not doubling them up. The flatter they lay in your fine/thin hair the better.
layers tied together

I first tied them together around the same places I will sew the clips on. This will help you keep everything together and neat. I start off in the middle then do either side. I also measure out and cut all the pieces before I start sewing.



I'm by no means an expert at sewing. All I did was make sure everything was laying flat together, place the clip where it's going to go and sew into the top hole of the clip. I just went in a little circle and sort of tied knots as I went along to make sure it was secure. I did each clip separately so it was very little sewing involved.

After you've finished, you can clip any long pieces of string hanging out then wash and condition your extensions. You can let me air dry or blow dry them on a medium heat (if they are real human hair.) If they are synthetic hair read the package directions for styling tips.

This 6 piece set is perfect to add volume to any hair style. They are especially good for anytime you will be in pictures. It just gives your natural hair the perfect amount of oomph.

Please, let me know if you have any questions about making your own clip-in extensions. I would be happy to help any way that I could.

Goodnight my lovies, thank you SO much for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment