Monday, October 3, 2016

The Light between Oceans: book review

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman


I finished reading this book last week, but I couldn't put into words what I felt about the book right away. It's taken me a while to get all of my thoughts down in one place. If you read my last review, you know that I try not to have any spoilers in my reviews. I'm going to TRY not to give away anything that the back of the book or the movie preview doesn't.

I'll really start off by saying that this was a really slow read for me. I could not, for the love of God, get into the beginning of this book. I went back countless time to re-read sections and even chapters wondering what words I had just read.

Once Tom met his soon-to-be bride, I was hooked. I'm a sucker for a good love story. Even the love story starts out slow. And, I suppose, that  it's all apart of the storyline, it keeps you wondering, keep you wondering what will happen next.

Tom is one of the main characters, actually, the main character. He meets a lovely woman named Isabel, they fall in love, and they move to the island he currently occupies as a lighthouse keeper. Isabel desperately wants a family and has 2 miscarriages along with a stillbirth. One day, a boat washes ashore carrying a baby and it's dead, presumably, father. Tom wants to report the boat, Isabel wants to keep the baby. She claims the baby is a gift from God, and they should keep it.

They name her Lucy. She has become a family member to both of them. But there is a moral dilemma here. Tom still wants to tell the truth and Isabel still wants to keep her a secret.

They only get a supply boat once a season, and it's easy to keep their secret. But once they go to the mainland it's harder to keep the secret. Tom is reminded of his moral dilemma and it gets harder and harder to keep their secret.

One of them makes a decision that effects all them. And who is to say that it is the right decision?

The book keeps me guessing and wondering through the last half of it. It started off as a slow read for me and turned into something that I could not put down. The whole moral dilemma has you wondering who will do right and who will make decisions only for their family?

This is definitely something that I would recommend anyone to read. If you love to read you will love this book. It was a tad of a challenge for me because it was based in the 1920's and from Australia. I'm used to reading young adult books from this time frame. This REALLY challenged me and I loved every minute of it, even though some parts I thought were quite boring.

If you have read this book let me know! If you have read it and also watched the movie let me know how it compares. You can also e-mail if you want to talk about the book in more detail without spoiling it for anyone!!

Goodnight my lovies, thank you SO much for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed this book as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment